" The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere,

they're in each other all along."

From Essential Rumi

by Coleman Barks


Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Dream

I had a dream last night:
My lover–to-be from long ago came to find what we’d lost.
Then we were both at the crossroads and weren’t bold enough
to fall in love against the complications in our lives.
It wasn’t a good decision. I knew it then,
so he came to make up for the lost time.

We were kissing and caressing each other with great eagerness
and I closed my eyes very tightly and said to myself:
“I have to, I have to forget about him” — thinking of my love who left.
And my lover-to-be said: "You’ve had such a strange expression on your face”

Two school girls came to our bedroom,
obviously best friends who love and hate each other – and themselves.
They were arguing and talking like an old married couple: "you always, you never,
you always take, you always want, you never say.…"
And instead of making love we ended up talking care of those two best friends.
They parted ways,
and my ex lover-to-be and I too had to go back to our respective lives.

Nothing changed:
the past went back to the past,
the girls continued their friendship the only way they knew how,
and I woke up to face another empty day

with no love I wanted to forget.
Eterne
April2010



No comments: