" The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere,

they're in each other all along."

From Essential Rumi

by Coleman Barks


Friday, July 2, 2010

Not Interested



I really don't want to get to know you.
I cannot care less.
I am sure you are a wonderful person,
witty and intelligent.

I know your children mean the world to you

and they always come first ...
right after your career
and money-making quests.

I am not interested in how well you are doing
or how life is not fair.
I am not going to be a good listener,
and I don’t want to pretend.

I don’t want to know your story

and what you have learned.
I am not interested in your background
and who you’ve become.

I’m sure you are as open-minded as one can be

and are interested in other cultures, creeds and cuisines.
Your future plans mean nothing to me
just like your daily running, biking or gym.

I don’t want to take a coffee to see if we click,

and I am not interested in checking if there is chemistry.
I know that we spoke and understood what we’ve said,
but that does not mean that we did really connect.

Don't try to cram me in a box  with a label on the top of it

and then tell me who I am, what I think and how I feel:
Rest assured that your "thin slicing" method is too thick
and you would need years to understand me!
 
I don’t want to know how great a kisser you are
and how fantastic could be our sex.
I don’t want you to pamper and spoil me ...
or get on my nerves.

I am sure that you're handsome
and as good looking as you say,
and that the belly you're carrying around
you will lose any day now.

I don’t want to be your mistress or your sugar babe;
I’ m not looking for a one night stand
with a perfectly strange man.
The phrase “No Strings Attached fun" is preposterous.

I don’t want to take it slowly
and become friends first
I don’t want to marry you - ever
or become your forever girl-friend.

I don’t want to be lovers and friends,
I’m sure I am not the one who is your soul mate,
and I don’t think
you could ever manage to sweep me off my feet.

I don’t want to know you, I don’t want to date.
Don’t take it personally though; do not despair:
It is not about you - it is all about me!
You are really great;
It's just that I am in love
with somebody else.

Eterne
June 2010


No comments: